This program is presented in two Tiers of Training.
Tier 1 is a ninety minute segment that teaches skills and techniques that enable front line staff, customer or constituent-facing personnel, managers and leaders to successfully de-escalate conflict when faced with anger, hostility or aggression in the workplace. It provides psychological insight into what causes conflict to escalate, eight immediately executable skills for de-escalation, and an opportunity to test the skills taught in role play exercises.
Tier 2 is a seventy-five minute segment that builds upon Tier 1 by providing more advanced training for designated Conflict Resolution Teams and is recommended for team leads and in-store management staff. Tier 2 delves further into psychological factors, addresses risk and protective factors for violence and teaches how to design specific protocols for organizational conflict resolution teams. There is an opportunity to practice what is learned in Tier 2 through role play exercises.
Conflict De-escalation | Online | 5/16/23
This 3 hour course is offered online, live. The class is held over Zoom and participants can attend from anywhere that they feel most comfortable participating, so long as they are not distracted by the environmment and are able to join the class with a device that has both a microphone and camera, so full participation in the class is possible.
Class Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2023
ET: 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM
CT: 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
MT: 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
PT: 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
If the above date and times do not work for you, or you would like to book an in-person training, schedule a time to meet with our Director of Program Development, email email@example.com or call 800-306-1020 to discuss scheduling a private training for your organization.
Tier 1: Fundamentals of Conflict De-escalation
Why Do Conflicts Escalate?
- Participants learn why conflicts escalate and how to identify those causes in the moment, so they can then effectively utilize de-escalation techniques.
8 Steps of Conflict De-escalation
- Participants learn an easy to follow 8 Step process to de-escalate any conflict they may encounter in the workplace.
Role Play Exercises
- Participants have the opportunity to take the skills they have just learned and apply them in role plays with their fellow participants, to ensure they have not only understood the content, but can apply it as soon as they return to work. Time is taken to analyze how the new skills and tools were used and how they can be applied in real life situations.
Tier 2: Advanced Conflict De-escalation
Psychology of the Point Person-personality, trauma and consent
- Participants learn how to understand the psychological factors at play for the individuals involved in a conflict and how conflicts affect those not directly involved
Risk and Protective Factors for Violence
- Participants learn how to identify risk factors and protective factors for violence and how those factors can influence behaviors during and after conflicts
Specific protocols for your team
- Participants learn how to create specific protocols to handle different kinds of conflict including mental health crisis and how/when to involve security or police, as well as how to create clear protocols for communications after any of these events.
Advanced Role Play
- Participants take the skills and knowledge from the previous sessions, including feedback from the first role play exercises, and apply them in more difficult, complex siutations. Time is taken to analyze how the new skills and tools were used and how they can be applied in real life situations.